Thursday, February 5, 2009

Johnny John John

John has been going through a rough time these last few months and we aren't sure why. He started wetting his bed after about 8 months of being dry. Talk about frustrating. I know some kids wet until teens but I knew he was capable, he had already mastered it. He totally stopped even getting out of his bed. Well, we tried everything--and I mean everything to get him to go potty again. Praise, potty candy, talks on being scared, changed night lights, changed PJ's, put a potty in his room, leaving all the lights on, pep rallies, doctors appt, no drinks after 5, and I can't say that I never got angry. Nothing worked. We were out of ideas. We had suspected he was doing it on purpose but everyone else said otherwise. Then Me and Sean decided that we know he likes any attention for anything. So we decided to completely ignore it. I mean completely. We would get him up and not say a word, get him in the shower, have him get dressed, wash his bed then when everything was done talk to him about whatever. It sounds terrible but IT WORKED! 1 day is all it took. What kid would ever potty trained by ignoring it! The first four days he would hold it until I came in and today he got up this morning and went by himself!!! Wahoo!! Now we are back to where we were 3 months ago and I am totally Ok with that! As long as I don't have to wash pee pee stuff anymore I'm on cloud nine! Oh and we are talking to him in the early morning again but we definitely don't mention anything that has to do with him and going potty! Wahoo again!! and a third Wahoo!! As you can tell this isn't just about John going potty. He feels like he has to control this because something else feels out of control. In his life everything is tied to everything else and this is a little insight for us and maybe it will help in the future. Not the ignoring part-the doing things the opposite and outside the box part! WAAAHHOOOOO!!

P.S. We have found a wellness specialist that we think will really help Me and Sean. Like she said "John is tweaked a bit different so we need to be tweaked a bit too."

7 comments:

Anne said...

Well I'm glad you've found a solution for John. Its hard work raising kids, even with ones that are a little "tweaked". Keep up the good work. And Kim, I've got 20lbs to give you, should have asked me, I would gladly give to you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thats great. You do what you have to do. My nephew wet the bed too and teh Dr. said to ignore it not to mention anything about it to him, because then he's not getting any kind of attention for it. So good job. I know how frustrating it is, its definitly not fun to clean up every since day. Congrats.
Good luck with the specialist!!

Kelley Gubler said...

I love that little johnny boy. very creative. maybe you could come up with an idea for me to convince paige that panties are to be WORN and not carried around in a purse. i hate potty training...

Shaila Lou said...

Wow, poor you!! I'm glad it's over and you've figured him out a little more! You guys are great parents!! John and Kaylinee couldn't be in a better home!

Shaila Lou said...

I just read your comment, so I'm commenting again. I think a good place to buy is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ the prices are the best I've found. Also, since I've become acquainted with it, I see all over photographer talking about it, so I'm sure it is one of the best.

As for lenses. I don't have a ton of knowledge. I have the one that came with my camera 18-55mm 3.5 which is great for all type of shots. It's really versatile, so I would totally suggest getting a camera in a kit. I also have a 50mm 1.8. Most photographers have a fixed 50mm or 85mm. They are great for indoor since you can get such a high aperture with it. Also it's great for detail shots, like newborns! The last lens I have is a 55-250 4.0 telephoto. I was so excited to get it, but don't use it that often. It's great when the kids have done sports, because I can zoom in and really get in the action. But it has a lot of camera shake.

So after all of that, I would suggest a kit lens to start out with, and a fix lens, 50mm or 85mm. I think 50mm are cheaper, so there you go! Feel free to email me if you have more question. I don't know a lot, but I can try! shaila_lou@hotmai.com

Kimberley said...

You guys do such agood job trying to do the best for all those kids. You are really a good mom!

melanie said...

Whenever I 'snoop' on your blog it takes me back a few years with Kathryn. Can I just say, I KNOW how you guys feel. It is so hard. We still have hard days but they are very few and far between (I have more hard days than she does). I hated hearing the good times will come and she'll be 'over it' because even a few months felt like an eternity so I wont say that. I'll just say, keep up the good work. You will be rewarded. I know this for a fact.

I'll just add another WAAAHHHOOO for you!! I've said a few of those myself.